The Quest for the Best Burger in Corvallis

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Tommy's 4th Street Bar & Grill

This place is on 4th street down by the Safeway on 4th.
This sign has been in the last THREE consecutive restaurants that Shauna and I have been to.

Skyler says:
I got the Mexican Burger, which means Guacamole, pepper jack, and jalopenos. With the cajunized fries.

The burger was good, it reminded me of the burgers that dad would grill up for us, had that "dad-made-it" flavor. The fries were good but, as Shauna pointed out, they tasted like the Red Robin seasoning was dumped on em.

I ordered a chocolate malt shake only to find that they dont have any malts. OK, so I ordered a chocolate shake. It was good, but over priced.

In fact that is how I would summarize the experience: "Good, but overpriced" For the same price, I think I'd go get more quality. If it tastes like home-barbecue and home-made shakes, why not just stay home?

Skyler rates it: 6.5

Shauna says:


My first impression was of a big, hearty burger-- maybe some competition for Jamie's? Unlike Jamie's, they used a liberal amount of lettuce and a bun with sesame seeds (yay!). Also unlike Jamie's, they put on too much mustard and used less quality meat. Considering that the prices were a little higher than Jamie's, I thought that was kind of disappointing.

The fries were okay, but too potato-ey. Even for you people who like potatoes in their fries, there was nothing remarkable to recommend them.

Also, $5.95 for a milkshake made with Hershey's syrup?! I could get a better, cheaper one at Shari's.

Finally, on the plus side, the decor was pretty sweet. Like the diner in Diner. Lots of Beavers memorabilia, but what can you do? I bet the outdoor seating is nice in warmer weather.

Overall, it was a little sad because I was really, really hungry, and it looked so good at first... but it left something wanting. I think you can find better value for your money elsewhere.

Shauna rates it: 6.5

No comments: